Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Uncle Lee

Last night my Uncle Lee passed away with his wife and 3 daughters beside him.  He had been suffering from a brain tumor he had named Percival (always had a great sense of humor).  I got a phone call this morning from my mom letting me know he had passed away.  Also, my grandfather (Pop) called me to tell me he was picking me up from the airport but first we had a good cry about this amazing man.  The thing that these two phone calls had in common were that we should have peace because he is in a better place and no longer in pain and that we know we will see him again.  I love Uncle Lee so much it breaks my heart that I did not get to see him for one last time but I know he is no longer suffering.  If he was still here this is what I would tell him...

Dear Uncle Lee,

I cannot tell you how much I love you and Mary Lou.  I have great memories of you at the beach, Tootsie and Pop's house, Portland, etc.  You are an amazing man and I am impressed by your optimism during this whole process.  I strive to have the same outlook on life as you did.

Speaking of memories... Here is a list of the some of my favorite things I remember about you (not in any specific order):
1. salmon- I have never had better salmon than yours. You make the best sauce to put on the salmon and then grill it (my favorite way to cook).
2. wood work- I wish I had pictures of your AMAZING craftsmanship because I would never be able to do what you could make out of a block of wood.  I remember one time in Portland when you let us carve stuff out of scraps of wood. Mine looked awful but you still told me I did a great job. Thanks Uncle Lee
3. gum- You always had gum with you at all times because you said you always get dry mouth but that just means I could always ask you for some :)
4. smoking- I am not supporting that you smoked but I was always fascinated that you could blow smoke rings and I didn't see how that was possible. 
5. earring- I loved that you got your ear pierced just for the heck of it and at a older stage in life at that. Makes me realize that you were always yourself.

There are many more things I remember about you and not enough time to write.  I will always remember you and love you very much.  Hope you are happy where you are and I don't doubt you will watch over Mary Lou from that place.  You are a great man Uncle Lee and know you are missed by friends and family alike.

Love Always,
Amanda


No comments:

Post a Comment