Friday, October 29, 2010

How To Save A Life

I have been taking CPR and First Aid classes for I don't know how long and I had wondered if I would ever need to know this stuff.  The other day at Costco I just about needed it.

I was walking out after I had paid for my items and not happy about how much I had spent, as usual, and I hear people saying someone call 911.  Of course being interested in anything medical I tried to look and see what happend.  A man had collapse on the ground in the middle of the parking lot and was having a seizure.  I saw people were trying to do compressions and breathing on the man after his body gave out because of the seizure.  I ran over there knowing that compressions after a while can wear a person out and asked a Costco employee if the people needed help with compressions and that I know CPR and First Aid.  Luckily as I was asking them the rescue squad pulled up and they took over and I walked out of there way but continued to watch. For the next 10 to 15 min the EMT's were doing compressions, using the defibrillator, and giving oxygen to the man.

I will never know if this man lived or died but because of people having been trained in CPR and First Aid a life can be possibly saved.  I hope anyone who reads this will understand the importance of just knowing the basics on how to help someone in a emergency situation and will go out and receive training.  I know I will for the rest of my life renew my certification as often as necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment